9 April 2008

Everest

This is a quote from David Putnam, a Film Director who also suffers from m.e....

"I had a six-month period when I couldn't do anything," he says. "Nothing, really nothing. Going to the loo was like climbing Everest. It is impossible to explain to people how utterly debilitating it is".

Everest is a useful geographical metaphor that does justice to how ordinary life can feel so utterly extra-ordinary with this illness.

I live in a small town. I live in the centre of this small town. A very good friend of mine lives 10 minutes walk away on the other side of town. Getting to my friend's house involves climbing down a steep hill, then climbing up the other side. In ordinary pre-m.e. days this walk would pass in the blink of an eye and was certainly far too short to be considered any kind of serious exercise. Now, this steep decline and incline is my Everest. The walk to her house is unthinkable, unmanageable, unachievable.

But..

Something has changed.

Today, I walked to my friend's house. And perhaps the most important part, I didn't feel too horrendous for it.

For me, it was a HUGE, huge achievement. On the way back I wanted to hug everyone I saw and say 'hey, I did it!!' I. DID. IT!

Everest, here I come!

Today's favourite song: The Editors, 'Munich'

No comments: